Sunday, March 30, 2014

No Regrets Editor's Pick


I recently edited a new book for Silly Tree Anthologies and was asked to pick a story for the "Editor's Pick" winner, which I understand comes with certain perks for the author. There were so many great stories in this book but I can only choose one so... below is my pick for No Regrets.

"Countdown" by Jeremy Milburn really spoke to me in more ways than one. Within the story, there is a particular rhythm, a literal countdown; a countdown of the main character's most important moments of his life, a countdown of tragedy, and a countdown of renewal and promise. I love the rhythmic element to the story but more than that, I love the emotion behind it. While you're reading it, you wonder if the main character has managed to crawl out of the deep, dark hole that is his life. You can't help but empathize, too. If you think about the worse things imaginable in this life, you have this main character and you want so much to see him succeed. Who hasn't had some sort of darkness in their life, whether through chance or through your own choices? If there is hope for this story's MC, there is hope for the rest of us, too.

Check out No Regrets on Amazon.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the honor! I truly appreciate my story being chosen as the Editor's Pick out of so many great entries. It made my day when I received the notification.
    Thanks again!
    Jeremy Milburn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! It is a great story with a wonderful message. Stories like that make my job so much easier. :)

      Delete