Sunday, March 30, 2014

Scared Spitless Editor's Pick


A little bit of retro posting here: Last year, Silly Tree Anthologies put out its first collection, a book that I had the pleasure of editing. I had mentioned to the publisher that if there was an "Editor's Pick", I knew which story that would be. They recently took me up on it so here's my post about why I chose the story I did.

For Scared Spitless, the story I chose was "Give Me Your Hand" by Janis Lein. This is a story about a young girl who wants adventure and when she gets that chance, she realizes that her "want" is not all it's cracked up to be. Not only was this a well-structured story but it sparked a memory in me. When I was a kid, I remember reading at least three different "mirror world" stories and I think I also watched a few movies, too. I've always been fascinated by such tales and even today, I'm still drawn to those stories. (And yes, I liked the movie, Mirrors.) Are mirrors simply a reflection or a doorway to another realm? What secrets exist there? I chose this story for its originality in the midst of a sea of similar ideas and for the unlikely ending that makes me think about what more can happen.

Check out Scared Spitless on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment